I was 120% apathetic about joining Twitter. Somewhere, in a random forum or on a website, I read about how great Twitter is. I thought, “Fine. What the heck. I’ll give it a try. Sign up for an account. That doesn’t mean I have to use it…”
Well, I am nearing the two month mark on Twitter and I love it! I have found the most awesome, open, willing-to-share, pay-it-forward group of people on Twitter. My mind has expanded with all this knowledge that comes from the simple 140 character tweets. I encourage you to sign up. I’ll break it down for you a little and compare it to Facebook.
- Facebook has a wall, status updates, photos, info sections, fan pages, etc. Strip that all down to the status update, and you’ve got Twitter.
- You only get 140 characters to say what you have to say.
- You can post pictures, but they go through a website such as www.twitpic.com. For me, I upload using my iPhone, so it goes through one of those websites and I don’t have to worry much about it. I click upload using Echofon and it does all the work for me.
- To let someone know you’re “talking” to them you use the @ symbol, such as @maganslens, and it alerts me that you’ve said something I might need to pay attention to.
- This one took me awhile to figure out. People put things like “#Austin #Brides…” and I had no idea what that was. Well, if you do a search in the search box, for those search words, anyone who has used them as I just did will show up. Pretty awesome.
- You can send private messages to someone, but only if they’re following you. (PS: following is like being someones friend. Except, you can follow someone and they don’t automatically follow you back. )
- Private messages are called “direct messages” and they still have to only be 140 characters.
- If you’re a business owner, you can customize your background so it doesn’t just have the little twitter bird on the background.
- A “retweet” is sharing what someone else said with your followers. It shows up as RT in the message.
- There are fun things like #FF. That means Follow Friday. You share people that you love following so others can find them and follow too!
For now, that’s a good summary of twitter. Here’s where I’m going to insert a shameless plug. I’m almost to 100 followers. Go to Twitter and follow me!